Amandus Adamson

(12 November 1855, Uuga-Rätsepa, near Paldiski -26 June 1929, Paldiski) was an Estonian sculptor and painter. Born into a seafaring family, Adamson excelled in wood carving as a child. He moved to St. Petersburg in 1875 to study at the Imperial Academy of Arts under Alexander Bock. After graduation he continued to work as a sculptor and teacher in St. Petersburg, with an interruption from 1887 through 1891 to study in Paris and Italy, influenced by the French sculptors Jules Dalou and Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux. Adamson produced his best-known work in 1902. His Russalka Memorial, dedicated to the 177 lost sailors of the Ironclad warship Russalka, features a bronze angel on a slender column. The other work is architectural. His four allegorical bronzes for the Eliseyev department store in St. Petersburg (for architect Gavriil Baranovsky), and the French-style caryatids and finial figures for the Singer House (for architect Pavel Suzor) are major components of the "Russian Art Nouveau" visible along Nevsky Prospekt.

       Prev  1  2  3   Next
  Prev Artist       Next Artist     

 

Amandus Adamson Bay of Naples oil painting


Bay of Naples
Painting ID::  75159
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Bay of Naples
Introduction: English: Bay of Naples Italiano: Golfo di Napoli Date 1896(1896) Medium Oil on canvas Dimensions 39.7 X 52 cm (15.63 X 20.47 in) cyf
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Bay of Naples oil painting


Bay of Naples
Painting ID::  75536
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Bay of Naples
Introduction: Date 1896(1896) Medium Oil on canvas Dimensions 39.7 X 52 cm (15.6 X 20.5 in) cyf
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Evening in Suur oil painting


Evening in Suur
Painting ID::  75511
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Evening in Suur
Introduction: Date 1890s - 1900s Medium Oil on canvas Dimensions 23.2 X 33.5 cm (9.1 X 13.2 in) cyf
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Evening near Paldiski oil painting


Evening near Paldiski
Painting ID::  75512
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Evening near Paldiski
Introduction: Date 2nd half of 1890s - 1910s Medium Oil on canvas Dimensions 32.5 X 45.3 cm (12.8 X 17.83 in) cyf
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Vlad the Impaler and the Turkish Envoys oil painting


Vlad the Impaler and the Turkish Envoys
Painting ID::  85757
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Vlad the Impaler and the Turkish Envoys
Introduction: Medium Oil on canvas cyf
   
   
     

       Prev  1  2  3   Next
Prev Artist       Next Artist     

     Check All Amandus Adamson's Paintings Here!
     (12 November 1855, Uuga-Rätsepa, near Paldiski -26 June 1929, Paldiski) was an Estonian sculptor and painter. Born into a seafaring family, Adamson excelled in wood carving as a child. He moved to St. Petersburg in 1875 to study at the Imperial Academy of Arts under Alexander Bock. After graduation he continued to work as a sculptor and teacher in St. Petersburg, with an interruption from 1887 through 1891 to study in Paris and Italy, influenced by the French sculptors Jules Dalou and Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux. Adamson produced his best-known work in 1902. His Russalka Memorial, dedicated to the 177 lost sailors of the Ironclad warship Russalka, features a bronze angel on a slender column. The other work is architectural. His four allegorical bronzes for the Eliseyev department store in St. Petersburg (for architect Gavriil Baranovsky), and the French-style caryatids and finial figures for the Singer House (for architect Pavel Suzor) are major components of the "Russian Art Nouveau" visible along Nevsky Prospekt.