Amandus Adamson

(12 November 1855, Uuga-Rätsepa, near Paldiski -26 June 1929, Paldiski) was an Estonian sculptor and painter. Born into a seafaring family, Adamson excelled in wood carving as a child. He moved to St. Petersburg in 1875 to study at the Imperial Academy of Arts under Alexander Bock. After graduation he continued to work as a sculptor and teacher in St. Petersburg, with an interruption from 1887 through 1891 to study in Paris and Italy, influenced by the French sculptors Jules Dalou and Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux. Adamson produced his best-known work in 1902. His Russalka Memorial, dedicated to the 177 lost sailors of the Ironclad warship Russalka, features a bronze angel on a slender column. The other work is architectural. His four allegorical bronzes for the Eliseyev department store in St. Petersburg (for architect Gavriil Baranovsky), and the French-style caryatids and finial figures for the Singer House (for architect Pavel Suzor) are major components of the "Russian Art Nouveau" visible along Nevsky Prospekt.

  1  2  3   Next
  Prev Artist       Next Artist     

 

Amandus Adamson Pakri motiiv oil painting


Pakri motiiv
Painting ID::  71159
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Pakri motiiv
Introduction: 1898(1898) Oil on canvas mounted on cardboard 23.7 x 35.4 cm (9.33 x 13.94 in)
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Pakri motiiv oil painting


Pakri motiiv
Painting ID::  72268
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Pakri motiiv
Introduction: Date 1898(1898) Medium Oil on canvas mounted on cardboard Dimensions 23.7 X 35.4 cm (9.33 X 13.94 in) cyf
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Bay of Naples oil painting


Bay of Naples
Painting ID::  73487
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Bay of Naples
Introduction: 1896(1896) Oil on canvas 39.7 X 52 cm (15.63 X 20.47 in) cjr
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Evening in Suur-Pakri oil painting


Evening in Suur-Pakri
Painting ID::  74018
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Evening in Suur-Pakri
Introduction: 1890s ?C 1900s Oil on canvas 23.2 X 33.5 cm (9.13 X 13.19 in) cjr
   
   
     

Amandus Adamson Evening near Paldiski oil painting


Evening near Paldiski
Painting ID::  74019
Artist: Amandus Adamson
Painting: Evening near Paldiski
Introduction: 2nd half of 1890s ?C 1910s Oil on canvas 32.5 X 45.3 cm (12.8 X 17.83 in) cjr
   
   
     

  1  2  3   Next
Prev Artist       Next Artist     

     Check All Amandus Adamson's Paintings Here!
     (12 November 1855, Uuga-Rätsepa, near Paldiski -26 June 1929, Paldiski) was an Estonian sculptor and painter. Born into a seafaring family, Adamson excelled in wood carving as a child. He moved to St. Petersburg in 1875 to study at the Imperial Academy of Arts under Alexander Bock. After graduation he continued to work as a sculptor and teacher in St. Petersburg, with an interruption from 1887 through 1891 to study in Paris and Italy, influenced by the French sculptors Jules Dalou and Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux. Adamson produced his best-known work in 1902. His Russalka Memorial, dedicated to the 177 lost sailors of the Ironclad warship Russalka, features a bronze angel on a slender column. The other work is architectural. His four allegorical bronzes for the Eliseyev department store in St. Petersburg (for architect Gavriil Baranovsky), and the French-style caryatids and finial figures for the Singer House (for architect Pavel Suzor) are major components of the "Russian Art Nouveau" visible along Nevsky Prospekt.